Then I took that to the Van Horn fence and sold it, then started my dry run from Van Horn to Blackwater (I actually had to start this three times because the first time I ran into someone right after leaving Van Horn when I came around a corner and got into a shoot-out with him; the second time I fell off my horse on the first bridge I had to cross. The third time I slowed down and still had plenty of time—the secret is more about having the correct route than it is about galloping as fast as you can. I didn't even have a particularly fast horse; I had the Gold Carmello Dutch Warmblood, Buell.) Then I rode from Blackwater to my camp, fast traveled to Tumbleweed and hunted the legendary cougar. This time it worked, but not because my strategy was better; I just had better luck. After the third clue, he was farther away and I could see him from a high vantage point where the third clue had been, so I got on my horse and shot him before he could kill me. Took a stage to somewhere and sold it. Turns out I couldn't make all of the legendary cougar outfits because I was missing one 3-star boar hide.
Now, it used to be that finding 3-star boar hides was easy, but this time it took me quite a while. I went to Black Bone Forest three times before I finally found one, and I also wandered around Bolger Glade and Bluewater Marsh. Shot loads of boars, but they were 1 and 2-star boars. Needless to say, I got quite a few bucks from the bad pelts, not to mention tons of pork meat to cook (one boar was ruined because by the time I got to it, a cougar was eating it, and it was degraded too much to get anything from at all.) But I finally found my 3-star, only a hundred yards or so away from the Black Bone Forest trapper, so I got that all finished too. To be fair, I could have simply not shot them, since they weren't the boars I was looking for, but I was hoping by clearing the way I might get a better one to spawn later. Plus, I could make a few bucks off good and even poor pelts, and I can always stock up on more food.
I had experimented with trying to get a boar to spawn in Lemoyne; I put out herbivore bait at the site of the Clemens Point camp. It didn't work, but a 3-star whitetail buck spawned. I didn't know what to do with that, so I carried the entire carcass around on my horse for a little while before finally cooking him. Didn't end up with a pelt. Then, of course, when I was at the trapper, I discovered that there is a half-chap that I don't have that requires a buck pelt. Sigh.
On the other hand, I only have three more animals that I need to get to get all of the trapper garment sets done: a gila monster, an armadillo, and a goat. I've never seen a gila monster in the game at all, even though I've been wandering around where they're supposed to be, and all of the armadillos I've seen so far have been 1 or 2-star. But I know how to get these, I just need to take the time to find good ones. Goats are even easier; I can always get a goat right away when I want one.
I do have a few other trapper items to make, but not in the garment sets; most of them are actually hat accessories, so I'll need to figure out how to hunt all kinds of little birds like orioles and robins and whatnot. But my hunting has a light at the end of the tunnel; I will someday rather soon get to the point where there's nothing that I need to hunt to craft anything. I'll probably have enough meat left over after doing so that I don't need to hunt for food either, because I'll have loads of meat from all of the animals I've hunted to get this far, but I might do a bit of hunting just to stock up on meat anyway when I have opportunistic chances to kill an animal that's right in front of me while I'm holding my gun kinda thing.
I also got a new horse; the charcoal roan Dutch Warmblood. Mostly because I saw it for sale at the stable in Valentine, and I like that color a lot. Because it kinda is the same color (kinda) as my gray mustang, I sold that one. That's a crappy horse anyway. It was quite a bit more expensive than the sooty buckskin one for sale at Scarlett Meadows, which I had had before as Arthur. I really like the Dutch Warmbloods; my daughter and I both kind of think that they're our favorite horses in the game because of their very high stamina and health as well as their generally unflappable demeanor when in battle or facing predators. I don't know why I'd need two Dutch Warmbloods, because I also have Buell who is the unique Gold Cremello Dutch Warmblood, but I expect one of these days he'll get killed and I'd like to have another one already ready to go and bonded to replace him. I also kept Rachel, at least so far, although I'll probably replace her with the white arabian once I catch that one again. Who knows; maybe I'll finally buy one of the other Arabians or Turkoman horses? I'd also really like a Missouri Foxtrotter, although I didn't see that for sale in Scarlett Meadows when I was last there. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention though.
Finally, in between some of my playing, my son played a bit with his John savegame. He was trying to do a bandit challenge (#5, where you get a $250 bounty in one state) so he had gone to rob some remote but near to where he was train station like Bacchus or Wallace, shooting passengers and the conductor, etc. Somehow he ended up running up the stairs to a balcony, and then a pack of four wolves attacked him while he was attacking the station! It was a weird coincidence, but he killed them basically either on the stairs or at the top of them, and while skinning them (because, why not?) he had a weird glitch where the wolf disappeared, but he was still skinning the air where it had been (and the blood animation was still there even though the wolf wasn't) and then... he accidentally discovered the wall breach glitch, because he ended up inside the upstairs room of the station. There wasn't anything he could do in there, including get out, so he dropped some dynamite and killed himself so he'd respawn elsewhere. Anyway, the whole thing was so weird, he grabbed a video capture of it.
Other than the hunting, and of course a handful of story missions still to do, I've got a bunch of points of interest to find, the dinosaur bones, the rock carvings, etc. and a bunch of challenges still so I can get the Legend of the East outfit. By the time I get it, I'll probably be so done with the game, and won't really have anything to do, that I won't even be able to enjoy it, but... eh. What're you gonna do?
On a totally different front, I've been going through my hard dance megamixes, including the new ones I'd made, 7 and 8—I made these right before I got really, really serious about all of the things necessary to make really good smooth transitions. I think I've had to redo all but one of the first seven after I'd made them, and I think I'll end up having to redo number eight too, although maybe I can find a shortcut to have them fixed without having to remix the entire remix. (heh.) Still; they turned out reasonably well, and fixing a handful of rough transitions isn't a huge deal.
Megamix 007 REMIXED
- Cosmic Gate - Somewhere Over the Rainbow [Beam & Yanou Remix]
- A*S*Y*S - Acid Train
- S.H.O.K.K. - Folie a Deux [Klub Mix]
- Derb - Musica
- Pacific Link - Time for New Energy [Dark Oscillators Remix]
- Thomas Trouble - Insane Asylum [Pedro Del Mar Remix]
- Mark Sherry & Dr Willis - Here Come the Drums [Jowan Remix]
- Riot Brothers - Ripped Out
- Hypetraxx - Paranoid [DJ Scot Project Remix]
- Spiritual Project - The Big Light [Hard Trance Mix]
- DDR & The Geezer - Mad Cows On Acid [Rozzer's Dog Mix]
- Mass in Orbit - Connect (The Next Step) [DJ Overdog Mix]
- Arome Visions of Paradize [DJ Scot Project Remix]
- A*S*Y*S - Acid Nightmare [Future Tribes Remix]
- Kai Tracid - Too Many Times [Yoda Remix]
- Dr. Willis - Spice [DJ Wag Mix]
- Cosmic Gate - Human Beings [Dave 202 & Phil Green Mix]
- Pulsedriver - Recycle [Club Mix]
- Scooter - Back In Time
- Bytes Brothers - Trancemission
- Jay Walker - I Am Here [Fast Floor Remix]
- Pacific Link - Espace [Hardstyle Mix 2]
- Kidd Kaos & Joe E - Control Interference
- Demonic Emotions - Stuck on a Spacetrip [Jon the Dentist Remix]
I've also been listening to my old megamixes 9 and 10 to see if there are any tracks on them that I don't like enough and want to replace, although it looks like there aren't going to end up being any—I've got through all of the tracks that I wasn't sure about and they were good after all, I just didn't remember them well enough to know for sure. Within the next week, before I run off for high adventure on the 22nd, I'd like to redo any of the existing ones that need fixing and do the next two. Really, I'd like to get to 11 and 12, because I've been doing these in chunks of a half dozen, and that'll round out my numbers, but we'll see if I can get that far before I'm away.
- Ruff Stuff - Warning [Club Mix]
- Yakooza - Xtasy [Paramount Park Mix]
- DJ Neo - Acid Overdose [Aeden Harder Mix]
- Pacific Link - Planetary Collapse [Luca Antolini Remix]
- Mauro Picotto - Komodo [Tea Mix]
- DJ Darkzone - Infinity In Your Hands [Club Mix]
- Arome - Somebody [Hangover Help Mix]
- Luca Antolini - Heat [Steve Hill vs Dark By Design 2007 Remix]
- Flutlicht - The Fall [Deep Fall Mix]
- Formic Acid - Dreams of Fantasy
- Josh Lang - White Thing [Josh Lang Harder Mix]
- A*S*Y*S - Acid Zombie [Old School Remasterd Mix]
- Cocooma - Nothing Is Over [Club Mix]
- Dave Joy - Second Chase [Madwave Remix]
- Luca Antolini - The Race 2012 [Steve Hill vs Technical Remix]
- Pro-Active - Spring Love [303 Version]
- DDR & The Geezer - Mad Cows on Acid
- Avatar - Red Planet [Reverb's Mix]
- Flutlicht - Icarus (The Flight) [Original Daedalus Mix]
- Kamui - Ghosts [Original Mix]
- Joop - 3008 [S.H.O.K.K. Remix]
- A*S*Y*S - Acid Nightmare [Blademasterz Remix]
- DJ Shog - Feel Me (Through the Radio) [S.H.O.K.K. Remix]
- Logger & Gnetic - Hypertransfer [Uberdruck Remix]